Scientific Name : Miscanthus sinensis
Common Name : Japanese Silver Grass, Maiden Grass
Hardiness Zone : 5a - 9a
Hardiness Degree : -20°F (-29°C)
Blooming Season : Autumn
Plant Habit : Columnar
Characteristics : Deer Resistant, Rabbit Resistant, Winter Interest (regional), Colorful/Attractive Foliage, Low Maintenance, Frost Tolerant
Water : Light
Fertilizer : None or when needed only
Spacing : 44 - 48" (112 - 122cm)
Height : 80 - 86" (203 - 218cm)
Width : 32 - 38" (81 - 97cm)
Exposure : Sun
General Information : A tall, columnar Japanese Silver Grass with showy banded variegated foliage that is perfect for a showy location as an upright focal point. An impressive display of feather-like seed heads appears in the Fall for added interest.
Idea & Tips : Plant in a sunny location with plenty of space to grow. Fertilize once per season in mid-Spring when plants are actively growing. Foliage will provide Winter interest. Remove old foliage when new growth begins to appear.
: A tall, columnar, banded Miscanthus – perfect for height and structure in the landscape.
- High Frequency creates showy retail displays without the need for flowers.
- Ideal for larger containers – 1.5 gal. and up!
- Rust resistant and infertile for healthy, non-invasive plants in the landscape.
- An excellent feather-like seed head display in the Fall for added interest.
- A perfect addition to any Fall grass program.
- Available as a liner only.
Protection Information : CPBRAF; PP34,712
(Flowering Only License)
Breeder : Darwin Perennials
60 to 68°F (16 to 20°C)
5,000 to 8,000
Short day obligate
Low to moderate
Use a balanced fertilizer at a rate of 100 to 125 ppm.
PGRs generally not needed
Watch for crown rot if overwatered.
Liner: 16-18 wks
September to October
Download Culture Guide